Please review the following general volunteer guidelines.
- Volunteer opportunities on Sunday, November 3, 2019, do not count for a +1 credit for 2019 TCS New York City Marathon guaranteed-entry eligibility.
- Registration for race-day volunteer opportunities closes September 30. Volunteers must register online in advance; walk-ups will not be accepted. Some age restrictions apply.
- If you need to cancel, log into your NYRR account, select Volunteer from the left-hand side, and select Cancel under “My Commitments.”
- Please arrive on time for your assignment. Standard Time resumes November 3, 2019; set your clocks back one hour.
- Please do not bring a bag. Bags thicker than an envelope and larger than a fist will not be permitted on the course, in Fort Wadsworth, or at the finish line. Small waistpacks are permitted.
- If you must bring a bag, you will have to check it at volunteer check-in. NYRR is not responsible for lost or stolen bags. Bikes must be secured at the bike rack nearest your location.
- Please plan to assist for your entire assigned shift. If you leave early, you may compromise the safety of runners or spectators. If you need to leave early in the case of an emergency, please notify your captain.
- Start, finish, transportation, fluid station, and course volunteers will receive a thank-you gift. All volunteers will receive a commemorative pin when they check out.
- Pets are not permitted.
- In the interest of safety, please do not bring your children with you unless they are registered as volunteers. Parents/guardians may register children ages 12-17 to volunteer at fluid stations only; children ages 12−15 must be accompanied and supervised by a parent or guardian.
When you register to volunteer with NYRR, we ask you to honor these standards of conduct:
- Conduct yourself as a friendly, responsible, informative, and respectful representative of New York Road Runners.
- Treat everyone with respect and courtesy.
- Refrain from public criticism of participants and other volunteers.
- Refrain from the use of profane, insulting, harassing, or otherwise offensive language while volunteering, including in social media postings of any kind.
- The use of drugs, alcohol, and tobacco are prohibited at all NYRR events; Fort Wadsworth and Central Park are tobacco-free zones.
- Follow the directions of your team captain.